ROTHSCHILD STRATEGIES UNLIMITED LLC
The Secret to GE's Success
William E. Rothschild
McGraw Hill -2007
COMMENTS ABOUT THE BOOK
I wrote this book in 2007 to demonstrate what it takes to be a leader for over 125 years. It is a strategic history of an iconic company.
I concluded that the ingredients for success could be summarized in one word L.A.T.I.N
- Leadership- having the right leader for the right time. GE until recently developed its own!
- Adaptibility- anticipating and responding to external and internal changes.
- Talent- developing own talent to fit the changing strategies and external and competitive changes!
- Influencing the customer and all key stakeholders to accept and join changes when needed.
- Networking- creating ways of communicating and interacting with all key stakeholders
This system worked until 2017, when it appears the company lost control of its own destiny. I still believe the book is an excellent guide to what it takes to be a LONG TERM LEADER..I predicted that Immelt would fail, but I am amazed how much damage he inflicted on this ICONIC company and hope it survives with his POOR LEADERSHIP!
This is the table of content:
Part I. “Living Better Electrically”:
GE’s First Stage, 1879 to 1939
Chapter 1. Selecting the Wrong Technology
Chapter 2. Becoming the Leader
Chapter 3. Seeking Advice and Sharing the Wealth
Chapter 4. Staying No. 1
Part II. Diversification and Decentralization:
GE’s Second Stage, 1940 to 1970
Chapter 5. Winning the War
Chapter 6. Decentralized Growth
Chapter 7. Professional Management
Chapter 8. The Conversion of Ronald Reagan
Chapter 9. GE Can Do Anything It Wants to Do
Part III. Portfolio Leadership:
GE’s Third Stage, 1971 to 2001
Chapter 10. Admitting Mistakes
Chapter 11. Pruning and Divesting
Chapter 12. Nothing Is Sacred
Chapter 13. GE’s Cultural Revolution
Part IV. “Back to the Future”:
GE’s Fourth Stage, 2001 to the Present
Chapter 14. Go BIG!
Chapter 15. More Cultural Changes
Chapter 16. Success Factors
This book is available on Amazon.